Monday, April 9, 2012

DIY Bubble Chandalier

I've been so excited to share this project with you, and I'm so glad that the day is finally here!!
Why today? Not sure! Just seemed like a good idea! :)

I needed a light fixture for the craft room. I wanted a pretty/girly light fixture.
 After looking all.over. online, I found nothing under a few hundred bucks.
 So I thought HEY, why not just make something!

I got some 1x4's. Cut 2 pieces, 24 inches long, and 2, 36 inches long,  with beveled edges to make a box.


I used some wood glue and my air nailer to attach the pieces together.

I filled the holes with hole filler so they were not noticeable.

I rounded up a few tools that I would need.
Drill, wire fencing {only need as much as the size of your fixture}, stapler, some corner brackets, screws and a wire cutter.

                                     

I cut the wire fencing to the same size of my wooden frame, and stapled it all around the edge to hold it down firmly in place.

                                     

After I had all the staples in place, I used a hammer to tap them all the way down. And cut off excess wire.
                                   

I used the wire cutter to snip a small section of wire just enough to slip in the angle bracket {to hold it onto the ceiling}

                                     

After, the metal was cut, the wire mesh {fencing} was all finished, and brackets were screwed onto the frame, I brought it out into the garage and gave it all a shot of white spray paint, I used flat white, and sprayed it from top and bottom to ensure that all of the wire got covered.


To make the cut out for the ceiling light, I used the same size circle as the top of the light fixture. I traced the circle, and used the wire cutter to cut where I had drawn the outline.


After the center hole was cut, I lifted it up to the ceiling, and made sure it was even from side to side and screwed it onto the ceiling {this step might be easier with some extra hands}.


We just used an expensive cheap-o light since it was going to be mostly covered.
Then begins the fun {tedious} part!


Hobby Lobby often has glass 50% off, so I stocked up on clear Christmas ornaments, they carry them year round so it worked out great! I got 4 different sizes.

I then pulled them apart, the top metal piece I threw away, the wire piece that has the hanger, I kept, and belt the edges up.
Here is how the metal piece was when I took it out of the ornament, and after I used my pliers to bend each side up.


Each metal piece I tied fishing line onto. I knotted it about 3 times to ensure it was tight.
I then stuck the metal piece {newly reshaped} into the bulb.
And carefully hung them up onto the wire mesh at the ceiling.


It was honestly a slow process. I would tie a few on here and there when I was in the craft room doing a project. Had I spent more time doing more at a time, it would have taken less time, but it worked out good, gave me something to do while the Cricut was cutting.


The clear glass bulbs were looking fun so far! But clear does not cover the ceiling as well as I wanted.
 Since the metal was painted white, it didn't show up real great on the ceiling, but it needed something.
Thanks to the 40% coupons at Hobby Lobby, I got some Krylon Looking Glass spray paint.

This stuff is amazing!!! I tried to paint the inside of the bulbs, that didn't go well.
So I just painted the outside of the bulbs.
This paint is amazing, super shiny and pretty!! It's thin tho, so if you do this, do multiple very light coats. It takes just seconds to dry.


Love how they look!


After I got all the glass bulbs hung up, I started putting the silver mirror like bulbs up, trying to space them evenly here and there.


And after, lots of knots and tying...here it is!


I love how it looks. The bulbs do not block alot of light so it gives off plenty of light for crafting.


It's so pretty, and I feel like it's something fun that is kinda unexpected!!!


I love it! And it probably cost around 50 bucks to do!
This would be great in a girls room, or a nursery for baby to stare up at, or your Mom Cave!
{don't mind no curtains yet, and those sconces are going to get changed out too}


What do you think?








Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Love this!! Am going to do it in my daughters room!! Thank you for the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! I'm so glad to hear it!! Have fun!!! I'd love to see the finished product if you want to share! :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. very cool!! :)

    jackie
    http://jaclyndesigns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a FUN idea!! :) Love those bubbles. Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is incredible!! I love how it turned out!! I bet you are so pleased!! :)

    ~Emily @52mantels.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!! I love every single one!